If you’ve ever spent days explaining to teams what’s monitored on their servers and hours implementing overrides only to be told that SCOM is still too noisy, you’ll know why we created Easy Tune.
The easy way to tune SCOM
SCOM is known for management packs that provide in-depth monitoring for Microsoft and other enterprise technologies, but often the management packs offer too much detail. To be successful with SCOM, you have to tune SCOM and keep it tuned.
We wanted to create a tuning solution that:
- Enables customers to apply best practices created by the community
- Removes the need for creating overrides one at a time
- Avoids the sprawl of overrides across multiple management packs
- Makes it easy to explain what level of monitoring is applied to any workload
Here’s how easy it is to tune SCOM using Easy Tune:
- Download the Easy Tune MP, which introduces a new tuning UI in the SCOM console
- For each of your monitored technologies (such as SQL Server 2016) choose the desired level of monitoring: discovery only, essential, balanced or full. You can set a global monitoring level, and levels for different groups if needed
- Click to apply the tuning level
- Easy Tune does the rest! No need to manually create management packs or overrides
Tuning Packs and the Community
Easy Tune works by using Tuning Packs, where each pack contains all the information needed to fully tune a particular management pack (or multiple management packs) according to best practices.
The best bit about Tuning Packs is that they come from the community. Easy Tune allows the SCOM community to share their recommendations and best practices for tuning. Instead of each SCOM administrator working in isolation and spending hours with each internal team to tune every MP, we can now leverage the community.
Tuning Packs are stored on a Community Store on GitHub. They can be submitted, edited and downloaded by anyone.
We’ve already seen the community in action with contributions from customers and from our management pack partner, NiCE, who have released a Tuning Pack for their Oracle Management Pack. We expect the range to Tuning Packs to quickly expand to cover almost all Management Packs.
Once you have a Tuning Pack, all you need to do is select the desired level:
- Discovery Only (no monitoring, just the discovery of the class instances)
- Essential (basic monitoring, typically up-down)
- Balanced (commonly used monitoring that offers important, actionable information without the noise)
- Full (comprehensive monitoring)
The tuning level will depend on the workload: is this a critical piece of infrastructure with a dedicated support team that want to know about every single issue, or is it perhaps a regular, non-critical workload where basic up-down monitoring is all that is needed?
Using Discovery Only can be very useful when you first install an MP. You’ll know that the performance impact of the MP will be minimized and you’ll get a chance to see what objects the MP discovers before you start enabling monitoring.
Getting Easy Tune
Easy Tune is provided as a free download. We want every SCOM deployment to work this way.
For more advanced scenarios we have created Easy Tune Pro, that enables:
- PowerShell automation
- Migration tools
- Time-of-day alerting (coming soon!)
In addition, Easy Tune Pro comes with full technical support.